Wednesday 8 September 2010

Bluecoat Typography Show

Earlier in the summer I visited the bluecoat typography show. It was interesting to see how typography had been included within various arts and craft pieces as I tend to only work on print or screen based projects. Jessica Turrel's work caught my eye for it's intricacy and detail, yet it still had a sense of ambiguity as her lettering had the appearance of having been srawled in thick ink; rendering most of it illegible.
Something else that caught my eye were some books that had been produced by Hand and Eye Editions, who only use traditional letterpress printing methods, which has given the books a lovely traditional feel.
Two of the titles 'Insectissimo' and 'Circus Minimus' have been illustrated by LJMU lecturer Chris Brown and I was suprised to learn that all of the images were lino cuts as they had such rounded edges and a fair amount of detail to them.
It would seem that a lot of the pieces display unconventional uses for craft techniques or simply a reversion to traditional methods in situations where technology may now more commonly be used. The exhibition has certainly inspired me to experiment with craft within my own work a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment